Canal Street Church has its beginnings back in 1842 when it was known as the Seaman’s Bethel Church in the French Quarter. It is believed that this was the first place that the Gospel was preached continuously in English in the French Quarter. Eventually the church moved out to Canal Street and built its sanctuary near Canal Street and Carrollton in 1924.
In 2011, Mosaic Church, under the leadership of Dr. Page Brooks, started meeting in the building of Canal Street Presbyterian Church. At the same time, Canal Street lost its pastor and was seeking to leave the Presbyterian denomination with which it had been affiliated for several decades. Canal Street asked Dr. Brooks to become their interim pastor and lead them through the process of leaving their denomination. At the same time, both churches felt the Holy Spirit leading the two churches together because of the common vision and values the churches had for the community.
On September 16, 2012, the two churches became one to form Canal Street Church: A Mosaic Community. Throughout its history, Canal Street Church has sensed the blessing of God as it has been a witness to the city of New Orleans.